Thursday, September 3, 2015

Getting More Done in Less Time Through Spirit Management

This is not a lesson in religion... It is a lesson in managing the "spirit" in how you and others in your organization perform daily tasks. While calling lots of people every day, the way they answer the phone forms a strong, immediate image in my mind.

I have talked with people who sounded like they just woke up, in fact, like I disturbed them from being sound asleep! I have talked with people who sounded irritated that I called at all. Some secretaries want to interrogate me before allowing me to talk with their bosses. By the time I finish explaining something that they cannot possibly understand, I seldom feel like talking to the person I am trying to reach.

As you can see, the spirit with which one answers the phone cannot only affect your mental image of them, but your own spirit as well. (This works in both directions, by the way)

Ken Blanchard (One Minute Manager) illustrated this in a workshop I attended. He first had everyone in the audience greet each other like they didn't care and weren't really interested in meeting one another. He then had the audience greet each other like they were long lost friends.

The difference was amazing! Expressions changed from blank stares to bright smiles, cold handshakes to warm hugs. The "spirit" of exchange made all the difference in the world.

Try it yourself. Experience the difference. Have your staff do the same.

Manage the spirit...Don't let the spirit manage you!

No comments:

Post a Comment